Concise History - Church of St. Anthony of Padua
West Harrison, NY
The Parish of Saint Anthony, Silver Lake, in West Harrison had its beginning in the year 1923. At that time the clapboard one-room schoolhouse, situated on Columbus Avenue in Silver Lake District, was purchased to serve as the Church of the Italian people there.
The Parish was placed under the protection of Saint Anthony of Padua. Father Joseph Rosa of the Stigmatine Fathers was appointed Pastor of the 600 families. Under his guidance the community became very cohesive and extremely active. Because many were related by blood in the community, the Parish became truly a family community. Father Rosa resided at the Rectory of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in White Plains during this time.
In 1934 Father Richard Zambiasi, also a Stigmatine Father, replaced Father Rosa as Pastor, and the Parish continued under his leadership and that of the Stigmatine Fathers until the year 1952 when it came under the care of the Diocesan priests of New York. Monsignor Francis Boyle was appointed Pastor. Two years later he moved into a house made into a Rectory by the members of the community.
In 1957 the Parish Elementary School was completed and opened, to the joy of the Catholic community, many of whom had labored manually to complete its construction. The Religious Community of the Divine Compassion was invited to staff the School.
By then the 600 families of 1923 had grown to be about 1,000. The continuing growth of the Catholic community made it necessary to consider the building of a new Church edifice to take the place of the old one-room schoolhouse. The new Church building, completed in 1967, was dedicated in 1968 for the service now of more than 1,500 families.
In compliance with the policy of the Archdiocese, Monsignor Boyle retired from the Pastorate of Saint Anthony's in 1975 and was succeeded by Monsignor Francis X. Duffy who remained Pastor until June 1987. In accordance with the New York Archdiocesan ruling that no Pastor may serve more than twelve years within any one parish, Monsignor Duffy was given a new assignment and Monsignor Victor S. Pavis was appointed Pastor of Saint Anthony's for six years until his retirement in June 1993. In 1990, while he was Pastor, Monsignor Pavis sold the Rectory which housed the clergy since 1954 and, with the consent of the parish community, a new Rectory was built at a more convenient location adjacent to the Church.
In September 1993, Reverend Salvatore A. La Sala was appointed by Cardinal John J. O'Connor of the Archdiocese of New York and served as Pastor until his untimely death on December 8, 1994.
On March 18, 1995, Reverend Lawrence Inzeo, appointed by the Cardinal to succeed Reverend La Sala. In 1997 the church was renovated and in 2002 two classrooms were added to the school.
In July 2003 Monsignor Rudolph J. Eisler succeeded Fr. Inzeo and was appointed Administrator and in September 2005 appointed as Pastor. He faithfully served the people of Saint Anthony of Padua parish until sadly he was called home to the Lord on July 20, 2007.
On December 1, 2007 Reverend Christopher W. Monturo was appointed as Pastor.
Father Peter Scaramuzzo has faithfully served the parish as Parochial Vicar from 1994 until his retirement in 2014.